GPB is proud to announce the Fourteenth Annual Reading Rainbow Young Writers and Illustrators Contest taking place January 1 – March 3, 2008. The contest challenges children in kindergarten through third grade to draw upon their verbal and artistic abilities by writing and illustrating their own picture storybooks. First place winners from each grade level will go on to compete in the National contest.
Winners of the national competition shall be awarded the following:
* First Place Winner – The first place winner in each grade level shall receive a laptop computer.
* Second Place Winner – The second place winner in each grade level shall receive a flat panel TV and DVD player.
* Third Place Winner – The third place winner in each grade level shall receive an MP3 player.
* Winners in all of the above categories will also win 3 sets of 5 Reading Rainbow DVDs and matching feature books – one each for their school, community library and home.
* Each Kindergarten and First grade participant must submit an original, single authored story (no co-authored stories) with a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 200 words.
* Each Second and Third grade participant must submit an original, single authored story (no co-authored stories) with a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words.
* For purposes of counting words, include such words as “a”, “an”, and “the”, but do not include words on non-story pages such as the title page.
* Stories may be fact or fiction, prose or poetry.
* Text must be typed or printed legibly.
* Participants who cannot write may dictate their story to an adult, but the story must be the original work of the child.
* Invented spelling will be accepted.
* Stories must include at least five original, clear and colorful illustrations.
* Text and illustrations (or a combination of both) must appear on one side of each piece of paper and page numbers must appear on the back side of each piece of paper.
* Any failure to adhere to these Contest rules may result in disqualification.
* Each story must be accompanied by a completed entry form signed by the participant’s parent/guardian or teacher.
* Applications can be downloaded by clicking here.
For More Information:
* Contact Education Services at (404) 685-2550 or firstname.lastname@example.org.